Houston auth have charged a 48 year old man with multiple counts of capital murder after deputies discovered the bodies of six children and two adults in a home where the man was arrested.
The man, David R. Conley, allegedly was involved in a standoff with deputies that ended when he was coaxed out of the home by hostage negotiators without incident, according to the Houston Chronicle.
Once deputies entered the residence, they discovered the gruesome scene.
“He restrained, shot and killed eight people,” Celeste Byrom, an assistant district attorney, said during a court hearing Sunday in which Conley was ordered held without bail, according to the Chronicle.
Byrom said Conley gained access to the home through an unlocked window and restrained his victims using handcuffs before shooting them in the back of the head, according to CBS affiliate KHOU.
Thomas Gilliland, a spokesman for the Harris County Sheriff’s Office, told the Chronicle that the relationship between Conley and the victims — who ranged in age from 6 to 50 — remains unclear. The Chronicle identified the victims as Valerie Jackson, 40, her husband, Dwayne Jackson, 50, and six children: Jonah, 6, Trinity, 7, Caleb, 9, Dwayne Jr., 10, Honesty, 11, and Nathaniel, 13. The Associated Press reported that Nathaniel was believed to be Conley’s son with Valerie Jackson. Police had earlier described the victims as five children and three adults, and earlier reports had put Conley’s age at 49.
At a news conference Sunday afternoon, Chief Deputy Tim Cannon said the degree of violence was difficult to fathom, according to KHOU.
“We’re here today on a very sad day,” Cannon said. “We’re here with our brothers in arms standing behind us because we’re all hurting. It’s a difficult day for us at the sheriff’s office. Once again, a tragedy has struck . . . our city. Our hearts go out to those . . . affected by this tragedy.” Continue Reading
Article Org: washingtonpost.com