Innocent 18-year-old Woman Gunned Down Getting off Bus in Gresham

(FOX) The search is intensifying for the occupants of a four-door Nissan that recklessly sprayed at least 16 bullets at 79th and Paulina on Tuesday, fatally killing an innocent 18-year-old woman was about to graduate from high school.

Now, community activists are asking the police to give the case a high-priority status.

The woman, Dareyona Smith, would’ve graduated from Ralph Ellison Chicago International Charter School in a few months. Instead of watching her get her diploma, Smith’s family must prepare to say goodbye.

“She was a good kid,” said Georgette Carter, the grandmother of Smith. “I love her and I miss her.”

It’s the family’s loss, but many in the community are also feeling the pain, frustrated by the gun violence and desperate for it to stop.

“They are just killing anybody and it needs to stop right now,” said Antoinette Johnson, a school worker.

Smith had just left softball practice when she stepped off a CTA bus at 79th and Paulina, and walked into a hail of bullets, apparently intended for a group of young men.

Community activists say they believe it may have been part of beef that started on social media.

“Murdered by some punks and some cowards on this corner because of some insane, childish Facebook beef back and forth, and then some turf stuff back and forth across 79th Street,” said Father Michael Pfleger. “Fighting over turf that you do not own.”

Community activists are urging people to speak up and give up any video that might lead police to smith’s killer.

“If you got it in your phone, don’t be scared to give up the footage,” said Andrew Holmes, a community activist. “If you know who the individuals are, what you scared of? Give it up. They were punks anyway, riding past and took her life. So we got to stand up and fight for her.”

In addition, a man was also shot at 79th and Paulina, but he is in stable condition.

Smith’s school sent a letter to parents Wednesday, saying the loss is sure to raise emotions and concerns. Students were able to talk to a grief counselor.

Article Org: fox32chicago.com

10 comments for “Innocent 18-year-old Woman Gunned Down Getting off Bus in Gresham

1. NORM
    March 14, 2019 at 7:49 am

Time to get a republican governor and mayor!!!!

2. Mena minor
    March 14, 2019 at 8:58 am

So sad just like that a life no kids shouldn’t be walking the streets of Chicago innocent young lady just sad the shit piss me off period and Chicago should be close down PERIODT

3. Toni Jackson
    March 14, 2019 at 10:10 am

I did not like how Law enforcement handle it when they arrived moving very, very, slowful and not attentive to Me Family need also look at how they handle everything as well HORRIBLE THIS WHOLE SITUATION IS SICKENING SAD TERRIBLE FATHER HELP THIS FAMILY HEAL IN JESUS NAME.

4. Angela
    March 14, 2019 at 11:55 am

My heart is griefing because I lived in that area and walked those same streets many years ago. Our innocent babies that are not looking for trouble are being killed. We have got to stop defending the guilty.

5. Stefanie
    March 14, 2019 at 4:28 pm

How com Rev Jessie Rev Al and every other black politicians can protest everywhere else but when our black kids here in Detroit get murdered by fucked up ‘s where are they then

6. Aretta Mosley
    March 14, 2019 at 6:47 pm

My condolences to the family prayers sent I don’t even live out in Chicago but a resident of Las Vegas and follow the Chicago news it makes me sick to my stomach to keep seeing and hearing about innocent ppl especially babies and young teenager getting killed Cease fire please Chicago enough is enough if there’s anything I can do to help please don’t hesitate to contact me

7. Jacqueline Leonard
    March 14, 2019 at 6:59 pm

This don’t make no sense. My prays goes out to her family. My daughter is due to start high school in the fall and now i have to be worried about whether she will be safe going and comming.

8. Darlene currindarlene@yahoo.com
    March 16, 2019 at 8:30 pm

Hey I’m so sorry but Jesus has gained a angel her soul in Heaven with him she perfect now no pain Jesus know who her killers are plus I hope he reveals them before more innocent people get killed or hurt.will keep all u in my prayers 4 your healing. She was 2 young to go to heaven but I guess Jesus needed her.try to check cameras in location might show something or ask Facebook to turn a loose live video of her all of them might help.

9. Darlene Currin
    March 16, 2019 at 8:31 pm

10. Tawana
    March 19, 2019 at 5:02 am

That’s sad something must be done it’s not even summer yet .My heart and prayer goes out to the family praying God gives you all the strength you need to deal with this senseless loss in Jesus mighty name ❤️