DuPage Deputy Fatally Shoots Teen in Villa Park

A 17-year-old was shot to death late Sunday by a DuPage County sheriff’s deputy after the two got into a fight when the deputy responded to a domestic call involving violence near Villa Park, county officials said.

The victim was identified as Trevon Johnson by his uncle, Alfonzo Singletary. The shooting took place after deputies were called about 11:45 p.m. Sunday to a “report of a violent domestic” at a home near Standish Lane and Ardmore Avenue in an unincorporated area near Villa Park, according to a sheriff’s department news release.

The first deputy to arrive at the scene got into a fight with the teen, leading to the “officer-involved shooting,” according to authorities.

Johnson was taken to Elmhurst Hospital and later pronounced dead there. The 17-year-old died of multiple gunshot wounds, the DuPage County coroner’s office said Tuesday.

Larry Rogers Jr., an attorney representing the family, said Johnson was unarmed. Rogers criticized investigators for releasing information about the shooting without providing any evidence, such as 911 tapes or dispatch calls.

“It’s obviously very early, but this seems to me to clearly be an unjustifiable shooting of a 17-year-old young man who was celebrating the holidays at home with his family,” Rogers said Tuesday afternoon after meeting with the family.

“We haven’t received any of the calls or recordings, but I think what’s important is that the (sheriff’s) department is releasing these statements, and not releasing objective evidence, and that’s exactly what we saw with the Laquan McDonald shooting,” Rogers said, referring to the October 2014 fatal shooting of McDonald by a Chicago police officer.

“I don’t think there’ll be any evidence of an altercation that justified in any way, shape or form this young man being shot and killed in his own home over the holidays.”
Rogers declined to say who else was in the home when the shooting occurred.

“Right now, we’re focused on identifying where he is so they can view his body and make the funeral arrangements,” Rogers said. “They haven’t gotten a call from anyone telling them where he is located. They want to see him, they want to see his body.”

Singletary, who said he is pastor of the Tabernacle of Hope Church of God in Christ in Chicago, said his nephew was unarmed.

“I know that the state has already given a narrative, the police department, on what happened, but we want you all to wait until you hear our side, our narrative, before anybody makes any decision or any judgment on what happened,” he said outside the family home. Continue Reading

Article Org: chicagotribune.com

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *