(NBC) Chicago’s annual homicide number has climbed above 600 for only the second time in more than a decade. Three people fatally shot over the last two days brought the city’s total number of homicides for 2017 over the grim threshold, according to data from the Chicago Tribune and police department. The latest fatal shooting…
(Sun Times Wire) A fugitive wanted in connection with the fatal 2015 shooting of a man in south suburban Dolton was taken into custody Thursday morning in the South Side Englewood neighborhood. Tyrone J. Smith, 25, who had a last known address in Chicago, was arrested by the FBI Violent Crime Task Force in the…
(Chicago Tribune) An infant girl has died, four days after being saved by doctors when her mother and a man were fatally shot Friday morning on the Far South Side, authorities said. Janae Lemon, who was four days old, was pronounced dead at 2:28 p.m. Monday at Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn after…
(Sun Times Wire) On a sunny afternoon two weeks ago, Tororicius Berry walked up to Kejuan Thomas on a South Side basketball court and shot the 16-year-old dead, then stood over Thomas and continued firing, prosecutors said Friday. Multiple witnesses, some as young as 10, told police they saw Berry walk out from behind the…
(Sun Times Wire) Chicago Police detectives have solved fewer than one in five murders committed this year, the lowest rate of closing murder cases since at least 2006 — and likely a historic low, police statistics show. Seven months into 2017, the city’s police department had “cleared” fewer than 20 percent of murder investigations involving…
(WLS) Two men were shot and killed outside a church in Chicago’s South Austin neighborhood Sunday morning, police said. The shooting happened in the 200-block of South Laramie Avenue around 11:19 a.m. Two men approached on foot from the front of the church and fired shots at the two victims, police said. A 46-year-old man…
(WGN) An 86 year old man is dead in what appears to be a homicide in the Canaryville neighborhood. Officers responded to the 4100 block of south Wallace on Thursday at approximately 4:04 p.m. where the 86 year-old Donald McNamara was discovered bleeding from a puncture wound in the back of his head. McNamara was…
(WLS) Chicago police said a 46-year-old man was shot and killed in the city’s Gage Park neighborhood Thursday afternoon. Police said Abel Melesio was outside in the 5600-block of South Richmond Street around 11:30 a.m. when a black Cadillac SUV pulled up and someone inside opened fire. Melesio was struck in the chest and rushed…
(WGN) While there’s a lot of attention on the number of people killed in Chicago, a lesser known statistic also tells the story of pain and insecurity gripping the streets. That number is 29%. That’s the percentage of murders solved by Chicago police last year. In other words, 71% of killers got away with murder.…
(Fox32) A decorated veteran was shot and killed during a robbery over the weekend. The 60-year-old was on his way to dialysis treatment on the west side when he was confronted. Robert Sharp, 60, was described by friends around the Hope Manor Apartments where he lived as dapper. “Everything he stood for was just destroyed…
(Chicago Tribune) Two men were shot dead on a “nice, quiet block” Monday afternoon in West Woodlawn and about an hour later two more people were shot in Chatham, authorities and neighbors said. Officers went to the 6300 block of South St. Lawrence Avenue about 2:50 p.m. and found one man with a gunshot wound…
(Sun times Wire) William “Willie” Cooper, 58, was gunned down on Saturday near the “Lilydale Outreach Workers for a Better Community,” a nonprofit organization he ran. A car drove up on 95th Street near the Dan Ryan Expressway. Someone waved Cooper over to that car, and someone in that vehicle wielding an AR-15 assault weapon…
(WLS) A 58-year-old community activist was fatally shot Saturday afternoon across the street from the nonprofit he ran in Chicago’s Far South Side. William “Willie” Cooper was principal officer of Lilydale Outreach Workers for a Better Community, a nonprofit that provides jobs to South Side teens. “People are so cold-hearted. How could you take somebody’s…
Five people were killed, including a 9 year old boy, and 13 other people were wounded in separate shootings from Friday to Saturday in Chicago.
In the East Side neighborhood on the Southeast Side, the 9-year-old boy was inside an SUV about 11:15 p.m. Friday in the 3500 block of East 97th Street when a gray sedan pulled up next to the SUV. Someone inside the sedan then opened fire, police said.
The 9-year-old boy was shot in the back. He was taken to Comer Children’s Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
A 31-year-old man, who had also been inside the SUV, was shot in the back, face and chest. He was in critical condition at Advocate Christ Medical Center.
No one was in custody in the attack as of early Saturday.
About 4:15 a.m. Saturday, officers responded to the 4400 block of West Monroe Street in the West Garfield Park neighborhood for a call of a person shot. Officers found a 20-year-old man on the street with a gunshot wound to the head.
He was pronounced dead at the scene. Police did not release additional details about the fatal shooting.
In the Brighton Park neighborhood, a 26-year-old man was fatally shot about 10:20 p.m. Friday, police said.
He was standing outside in the 4600 block of South Washtenaw Avenue when someone inside a silver SUV opened fire, striking him multiple times. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
Earlier Friday, one man was killed and two others were shot at 6:05 p.m. in the first block of West Pershing Road (39th Street), in the Stateway Gardens neighborhood, police said.
A 21-year-old suffered a gunshot wound to the abdomen and shoulder, a 22-year-old was shot in the back and a 19-year-old suffered a gunshot wound to the head and hand, police said.
All were taken to Stroger Hospital. The 21-year-old man was later pronounced dead. The 22-year-old man was listed in serious condition. The 19-year-old’s condition had stabilized there, police said.
Minutes earlier, another fatal attack happened at 6:03 p.m. in the 4500 block of West Jackson Boulevard in the city’s West Garfield Park neighborhood.
A 20-year-old man who was shot in the chest was taken to Mount Sinai Hospital, where he later died, police said.
Further details were not available.
In other shootings:
• Two people were shot about 4 a.m. in the South Austin neighborhood on the West Side. Someone shot two men who were in the first block of North Leclaire Avenue, police said. A 29-year-old man was shot in the head, and he was in critical condition at Mount Sinai Hospital. A 27-year-old man was shot in the stomach, and his condition was stabilized at Mount Sinai Hospital.
• In the Humboldt Park neighborhood on the West Side, a 26-year-old man was in good condition after he was shot multiple times in the right leg. He was walking in the 2800 block of West Division Street when someone inside a car shot him, police said. He then took himself to Presence Saints Mary and Elizabeth Medical Center.
• Just before 3 a.m., a 26-year-old man was shot in the right arm while he was driving in the 5000 block of West Washington Boulevard in the South Austin neighborhood on the West Side, police said. He took himself to West Suburban Medical Center, where he was listed in good condition.
• A 24-year-old man was shot in both legs about 2:15 a.m. while he was in the 1800 block of North Leclaire Avenue in the North Austin neighborhood, police said. He was standing by his car when someone shot him. He took himself to Presence Saints Mary and Elizabeth Medical Center where his condition was stabilized.
• About 12:10 a.m. Saturday, a 41-year-old man was shot multiple times while he was in an alley in the 12800 block of South Peoria Street in the West Pullman neighborhood on the Far South Side, police said. He took himself to Roseland Community Hospital, and he was later transferred in critical condition to Advocate Christ Medical Center. Police had initially reported the shooting taking place in the 800 block of West Vermont Avenue.
• In the Lithuanian Plaza neighborhood on the South Side, a 44-year-old man was shot in the back and left arm about 11 p.m. while he was standing outside in the 6900 block of South Campbell Avenue, police said. His condition was stabilized at Mount Sinai Hospital.
• Just before 10:45 p.m., two men were shot while they were getting out of a car in the 10600 block of South Green Bay Avenue on the East Side, police said. The shooter was inside a white SUV. A 54-year-old man was shot in the face, and his condition was stabilized at Northwestern Memorial Hospital. A 49-year-old man was shot in the back, and he was taken in serious condition to Advocate Christ Medical Center.
• Another shooting happened around 3:10 p.m. in the 5200 block of South Calumet Avenue, the city’s Washington Park neighborhood. The victim, 27, was shot in the buttocks and was taken to an area hospital where he was in good condition, police said.
No one was in custody for any of the shootings.
Article Org: chicagotribune.com
The female Pace driver that witnessed the killing of a man being robbed and shot while being pushed into her Pace Van this morning was unhurt but deeply shaken in the incident. She recently lost two sons, 18-year-old Roy and 21-year-old James, who were killed Christmas night in a mass shooting at the family’s home in Chicago’s East Chatham neighborhood.
This lady unfortunately has witnessed 3 murders in an 8-month period, very sad. I was there and covered that shooting in Chatham on that warm Christmas Day.
A 50-year-old man was forced into a Pace van by someone who wanted to steal his cell phone before he was shot and killed in Chicago’s Avalon Park neighborhood, police said.
“It was a senseless killing. Senseless killing. Took my brother away from his family,” said Juanita White, the victim’s sister.
The victim, identified by relatives as Norman White, had stopped at a gas station parking lot near East 83rd Street and South Stony Island Avenue just after 3:15 a.m. Tuesday to say hello to a friend, a female Pace driver who had arrived minutes before. She was driving a Pace para-transit vehicle.
Juanita White said her brother, a father of four, used to be a Pace driver himself. He worked for the company until January of this year. Most recently, he worked a night job.
Relatives said White worked during the overnight hours, and likely saw his former colleague on his way home from work.
“He lives about five blocks away. So I’m thinking he was on his way home and ran into the lady and, you know, he’s protective, he was helping her, watching her bag while she ran into the gas station and the guy walked up and robbed him,” Juanita White said.
A man who tried to take his phone pushed him into the minivan and opened fire, police said. Mohamad Saif, a manager at the Citgo, said his employee heard the gunfire and called 911.
“He heard, I think he said four shots. He didn’t see anything. He didn’t even see the guy who got shot because he’s in the van,” Saif said.
White was struck three times – in his right arm, chest and back – and rushed in critical condition to Northwestern Memorial Hospital, where he later died.
Surveillance cameras around the gas station caught the entire shooting on camera. Investigators are examining the footage and searching for the shooter.
The gas station is a popular stop for Pace drivers, who pick up their vans at a garage about a mile away.
“Sometimes they park, you know, buy stuff, use the bathroom. Hang around for five, 10 minutes, relax, and leave,” Saif said.
Area South detectives are handling the investigation. No one is in custody.
White’s neighbors expressed their disbelief upon hearing the news of his death.
“He didn’t do nothing but work< ' said Frank Bailey, neighbor. "He would go to work about one o'clock in the morning, get off at about 11 o'clock." Article Org: abc7chicago.com
(SUN TIMES MEDIA WIRE) – A woman was shot to death while she was sleeping early Tuesday in the Washington Park neighborhood on the South Side, police said. Someone fired shots into a home at 5:26 a.m. in the 5200 block of South King Drive, where the 40-year-old woman was sleeping, according to Chicago Police.…
(WLS) A 50 year old man was shot and killed early Tuesday morning inside a Pace para-transit van in an attempted armed robbery on Chicago’s South Side, police said. The victim was talking to the woman driving the van in a gas station parking lot near East 83rd Street and South Stony Island Avenue just…