Early in the morning Saturday, three young men walked by a throng of Chicago police officers gathered around a car marred by a bullet hole that was parked at Oak and State streets just north of the Loop.
“Did someone die there?” one of the men asked the others casually, nearly chuckling, as they walked past the shooting scene in the Near North neighborhood about 12:45 a.m.
Two other shootings happened at the same time in the West Town and East Garfield Park neighborhoods about 12:45 a.m.
From Friday to Saturday morning, eight people were wounded in shootings across the city, including a Chicago police officer and the offender whom he shot.
Earlier Friday, a 45-year-old man was shot about 1:30 p.m. during a carjacking on the Far South Side in the West Pullman neighborhood.
The victim was riding in his car in the 200 block of East 119th Street with three people when they pulled out weapons and shot him. The gunmen took his car, and it was found abandoned in the 2500 block of East 97th Street, police said.
The man was shot in the groin, left hand and left foot and suffered a graze wound to the back. He was taken to Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn, where his condition was stabilized, police said
• A 32-year-old man was shot in the right leg about 12:45 a.m. Saturday in the East Garfield Park neighborhood. He was in a retail parking lot in the 500 block of North Kedzie Avenue when he got into an argument with another man, who took out a gun and shot him. The victim was taken to Mount Sinai Hospital, where his condition was stabilized.
• About the same time, a 22-year-old man was shot in the upper left back in the West Town neighborhood. He was driving down the street in the 1700 block of West Huron Street when he noticed he was being followed by a vehicle. The driver of the vehicle behind him opened fire, police said. The victim was taken to Northwestern Memorial Hospital in good condition.
• A 24-year-old man was shot in the left buttock in the West Garfield Park neighborhood about 11:10 p.m. Friday. He told police he was sitting in his car in the 4000 block of West Carroll Avenue when he heard gunshots and was struck. He was taken to West Suburban Hospital in good condition.
• A 35-year-old man was shot in the knee in the 2100 block of West Maypole Avenue about 9:50 p.m. Friday. He got himself to Stroger Hospital, where he was listed in good condition.
• A plainclothes officer and a 25-year-old woman were shot in the West Garfield Park neighborhood about 2:25 p.m. The shootings happened after the officer tried to intervene following an alleged drug deal and the women opened fire. The officer, with the Harrison District tactical team, was taken to Loyola University Medical Center with injuries that were not life-threatening. The woman was shot several times and was in critical condition at Stroger Hospital, police said.
Article Org: chicagotribune.com