Bloody Chicago, 2 Dead, 6 Wounded in Shootings on Wednesday

Willie Fry was sleeping in his Lawndale home early Thursday when he heard five to six gunshots.

He didn’t immediately go outside, but his neighbors later told him the man who had been wounded by the gunshots ran into a random home in the 3100 block of West Lexington Street.

“We don’t know who he is,” Fry said. “It’s tragic.”

The 28-year-old man had been shot multiple times about 12:20 a.m. while he was standing outside, Chicago police said. He was taken in serious condition to Mount Sinai Hospital.

He was later pronounced dead. Police did not release any other details about what led to the shooting.

He was one of two men who were killed from Wednesday afternoon to early Thursday. Six other people were wounded in separate attacks.

Fry and other nearby residents stood outside of their homes as police officers placed evidence markers around a white car. Police also taped off three greystone homes. Plastic wrap held up a sign on a tree that called for “No more loitering,” and also asked people to stop littering.

Fry has lived in the neighborhood his whole life, and he couldn’t recall when a shooting happened so close to his home.

“I don’t know what it is,” he said. “These young guys are killing each other.”

Within the crime scene, a man stood outside one of the homes and talked to another man about gun violence.

“When they shot me up, they said my legs were still moving,” the man said as he motioned with his hands. “I just wasn’t going anywhere.”

Less than half a mile away, a 25-year-old man was shot dead Wednesday afternoon in the Lawndale neighborhood on the West Side.

The shooting happened about 12:50 p.m. in the 3100 block of West Fillmore Street. The man, 25, suffered multiple wounds and was initially taken in critical condition to Mount Sinai Hospital, police said.

He was identified as Robert Warren, of the 2100 block of South 51st Court in Cicero, and was pronounced dead at 1:01 p.m., according to the Cook County medical examiner’s office.

At the scene, investigators focused on the alley north of Fillmore Street between the apartment buildings and a viaduct. There, they found shell casings and the man shot, bleeding.

Relatives at the scene found out he had been taken to the hospital, after first thinking he was dead behind the apartment, and rushed to the hospital.

Neighbors said he had been shot all over, including in the head. Police confirmed he suffered a wound to the head.

Outside Mount Sinai, a wave of screams and wails erupted from a group of about 20 people as they learned the fate of the man.

The victim’s mother broke away from the group and stumbled into the rain, screaming and crying.

“Why?” She screamed as relatives huddled around her and moved her out of the rain. “I need him.”

The man’s aunt was too distraught to talk. Tears streamed down her face, and she had to sit on the ground because she couldn’t stand.

Many friends and relatives huddled together, but others walked aimlessly in the rain, too shocked to react.

No one was in custody, according to police.

In other shootings:

— About 2:40 a.m. Thursday, a 23-year-old man was shot in the left arm while he was standing in the 11200 block of South Indiana Avenue in the Roseland neighborhood on the Far South Side, police said. He took himself to Roseland Community Hospital, where his condition was stabilized.

— In the Gresham neighborhood, a 28-year-old man was shot in the abdomen about 2:20 a.m. Thursday while he was in the 7900 block of South Emerald Avenue, police said. His condition was stabilized at Advocate Christ Medical Center.

— Five minutes earlier in the Grand Crossing neighborhood, a man walked up to a 39-year-old man and shot him in left foot about 2:15 a.m. Thursday in the 7600 block of South South Chicago Avenue, police said. The victim had been walking when the shooting happened. He took himself to Jackson Park Hospital, where he was listed in good condition.

— A 26-year-old man was grazed in the left wrist and had an injury to the head from an incident that happened about 10 p.m. in the 7800 block of South Hermitage Avenue in Gresham, police said. He took himself to Holy Cross Hospital, where he was listed in good condition. The man, who had blunt force trauma to the head, was “uncooperative” with investigators, according to police.

— About 9:40 p.m., a 33-year-old man was grazed in the head when someone shot at him in the 6400 block of South Richmond Street in the Marquette Park neighborhood, police said. He was in serious condition at Advocate Christ Medical Center.

— A 48-year-old man was wounded during a drive-by shooting about 9:10 p.m. on the city’s West Side. He was standing in the 700 block of South Francisco Avenue in Lawndale when someone inside a silver car opened fire, striking him in the leg and buttocks. He was taken in good condition to Mount Sinai Hospital.

Article Org:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *