(Chicago Tribune) Three people were fatally and at least eight other people were wounded in separate attacks during a nine-hour period from late Friday to early Saturday across the city, according to police.
A 16-year-old boy was fatally shot just before 3:50 a.m. Saturday while he was in the 3600 block of West Ohio Street in the East Garfield Park neighborhood on the city’s West Side, according to the Cook County medical examiner’s office and police.
He was shot in the back, and he had been taken in critical condition to Stroger Hospital, police said.
He was pronounced dead at 5:25 a.m. He was identified as Theotis Luckett, of the 600 block of North Monticello Avenue, according to the Cook County medical examiner’s office.
The shooting took place in front of a large brick apartment building. Police did not release any additional details about the shooting.
In a separate attack, a 31-year-old man was fatally shot about 2:15 a.m. Saturday in the Washington Park neighborhood on the city’s South Side.
Officers responded to the 6200 block of South King Drive for a call of shots fired and found a man on the ground. The man, 31, had been shot multiple times and was pronounced dead at the scene.
About 11:20 p.m. Friday, a 35-year-old man was critically wounded at a gas station in the 5900 block of South Morgan Street in the Englewood neighborhood. People inside a Chrysler 300 pulled up next to the man, got out of the car and opened fire, striking the man in the head, police said.
He was taken in critical condition to Stroger Hospital where he was pronounced dead at 6:26 p.m., according to police and the Cook County medical examiner’s office.
Police are investigating if the shooters took the victim’s car. A large pool of what appeared to be blood could be seen next to one of the gas station’s pumps.
Antoine Smith was on his way to the gas station to buy cookies when he saw gunshots coming from a car.
“I started running, getting low,” Smith said.
He was among a handful of nearby residents who stopped as officers investigated the shooting.
• In the Chicago Lawn neighborhood about 2:05 a.m., a 32-year-old man who said he was driving for UberEats was grazed in the arm while he was stopped at a stop sign in the 3200 block of West 60th Street, police said. The shooter was on the sidewalk and opened fire, grazing the driver in the arm. As the 32-year-old was driving away, a black Hummer began following him with someone from the vehicle firing additional shots at him. The driver declined medical attention.
• Two people were wounded during a drive-by shooting just before 1:30 a.m. in the 1400 block of North Talman Avenue in the Humboldt Park neighborhood, police said. The men were standing outside when someone inside a silver car shot at them. A 37-year-old man was shot in the arm and in the chest, and a 34-year-old man was shot in the abdomen and the hand. The older man’s condition was stabilized at Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center, and the 34-year-old man’s condition was stabilized at Stroger Hospital.
• In the North Austin neighborhood about 12:35 a.m., a 20-year-old man was in the passenger seat of a car in the 5000 block of West Division Street when someone fired at the car. He was wounded in the neck, and he took himself to West Suburban Medical Center. His condition was stabilized.
• About 12:10 a.m. Saturday, a 46-year-old man was shot in the right leg during a drive-by shooting in the 300 block of South Albany Avenue in the East Garfield Park neighborhood, police said. He was standing outside when someone inside a passing car shot at him. His condition was stabilized at Mount Sinai Hospital.
• A 24-year-old woman was shot in the left arm about 12:05 a.m. while she was walking in the 6300 block of South Ashland Avenue in the West Englewood neighborhood, police said. She was walking north on Ashland when shooters opened fire. She took herself to St. Bernard Hospital, where her condition was stabilized.
• In the East Garfield Park neighborhood on the city’s West Side, someone shot a 22-year-old man as he was getting into a car about 10:45 p.m. in the 3200 block of West Franklin Boulevard, police said. He was shot in both legs, and his condition was stabilized at Stroger Hospital.
• Earlier Friday night, a 35-year-old victim was shot about 6:55 p.m. in the 6900 block of South Prairie Avenue in the Park Manor neighborhood. He was walking on a sidewalk when an assailant who was also on foot pulled a gun and shot him in the left buttock, Chicago police said. The man was taken to Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn where his condition had stabilized, police said.
Police did not report arrests in any of the shootings.
Article Org: chicagotribune.com