(Chicago Tribune) Fourteen people, including a 13-year-old boy, a would-be robber and a man who was found dead on the sidewalk above the Chicago River in North Park, were wounded in shootings from Saturday into Sunday.
Three men in their 50s were shot about 8:10 p.m. in the 7500 block of South Union Avenue in the city’s Gresham neighborhood.
The victims were attending a funeral when an attacker approached them and fired shots, hitting a 52-year-old in the lower back, a 53-year-old man in the right thigh, and another 53-year-old in the right knee, police said.
Two victims were taken to Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn where their conditions had stabilized. The man in the knee declined to be taken to a hospital, police said. The shooter was not arrested.
About 7:15 p.m., two men were walking in the 4800 block of South Loomis Boulevard in the Back of the Yards neighborhood when assailants inside a dark-colored SUV or Jeep shot them, police said.
A 19-year-old man who was shot in the left arm and a 23-year-old man was shot in the legs and abdomen. Both were taken in critical condition to Stroger Hospital.
At least 40 shell casings from a rifle were found on the scene.
A 13-year-old boy was shot in the Little Village neighborhood about 2:40 p.m., police said.
He was riding his bike in the 2500 block of South Saint Louis Avenue when an assailant exited a light-colored vehicle and fired, hitting him in the right arm, police said.
The boy was taken by ambulance to Stroger Hospital, where he is listed in good condition, police said.
About 9:30 a.m. Saturday a would-be robber wielding a sledgehammer struck an armored car driver in the back and was shot by the driver as he tried to steal the money bag, federal officials said.
Despite suffering at least one gunshot wound, the man with the sledgehammer ran from the location and was seen by witnesses inside a vehicle in the 2700 block of South Kostner Avenue in Little Village.
Police officers arrived and put the man in custody and he was then rushed to Mount Sinai Hospital, according to Chicago police.
In other shootings:
• A woman in her 20s was shot while walking along the sidewalk about 4 a.m. in the 2100 block of West 19th Street in Heart of Chicago. She was in serious condition at Stroger Hospital with gunshot wounds to the left arm.
No one was arrested and detectives from Area Central are investigating.
• Close to 4 a.m. police were called to Stroger Hospital where a man, 30, had been transferred after earlier walking in at Mercy Hospital with a gunshot wound to the abdomen and one to the left leg, police said.
The man wasn’t cooperating with the police investigation, but officers believe the shooting took place in the 3100 block of South Aberdeen Street in Bridgeport. No one was in custody.
• About 3 a.m., police were called to the block of East 102nd Place between South State Street and South Michigan Avenue, in Roseland.
A 20-year-old man was sitting in a parked vehicle when a tan-colored sedan pulled up and someone inside opened fire. The 20-year-old was taken to Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn and with a gunshot wound to his hip, and his condition was stabilized, authorities said.
No one is in custody and detectives from Area South are investigating.
• Two people were shot about 2:15 a.m. Sunday and one of them is in critical condition, police said. The two men were in the 3900 block of West Jackson Boulevard in East Garfield Park when they heard shots ring out, police said.
A 40-year-old suffered a gunshot wound to the right leg. A 38-year-old man was shot in the abdomen and the legs; both men were rushed to Mount Sinai Hospital and the 40-year-old had his condition stabilized and the 38-year-old is in critical condition, police said. No one was in custody.
• A man was shot to death in the 5000 block of North Bernard Street in North Park.
About 12:15 a.m. police responded to a call of shots fired in the area of the Chicago River and found a man face down on the sidewalk with gunshot wounds to his body. No one is in custody and detectives from Area North are investigating.
The man’s age was not immediately released by police.
• A man was shot about 10 p.m. in the West Lawn neighborhood, police said.
The man, 28, was shot in the left leg and he was taken to Advocate Christ Hospital in Oak Lawn where his condition was stabilized.
The man, who police believe is a documented gang member, was not cooperating with police investigating the shooting and would not provide details. No one is in custody.
Article Org: chicagotribune.com