Maggio News Video, (Chicago Tribune) A man was fatally shot after making a court appearance, and a 14 year old boy was among 13 other people who were wounded in separate shootings across the city since Friday morning.
Eight of those people were shot within four hours early Saturday.
The victim, Kenneth Williams, 28, had just appeared at the courthouse Friday morning and had pleaded not guilty to a charge of driving on a revoked or suspended license, according to police and court records.
He apparently got into an argument with someone as he left, police said. He and a woman, 26, had made it to 31st and Rockwell streets when someone in another car pulled up next to them and opened fire, police said.
The woman drove the man back to the entrance of the courthouse.
Williams was taken to Mount Sinai Hospital, where he was pronounced dead at 2:10 p.m. Friday, according to the Cook County medical examiner’s office.
Teen wounded in Pilsen shooting
A 14-year-old boy was grazed in the chest and left knee while he was walking with his sister and a friend just before 9:30 p.m. Friday in the 900 block of West Cullerton Street in the Pilsen neighborhood.
The shooter was in a red sedan and opened fire at the group, grazing the boy, police said.
The teen’s condition was stabilized at Stroger Hospital.
In other shootings:
• In the East Side neighborhood, a 24-year-old man was shot in the left arm while he was standing near a car about 4:20 a.m. Saturday in the 10000 block of South Avenue M on the city’s Southeast Side, police said. The shooter was inside a gold Chevrolet TrailBlazer. His condition was stabilized at Advocate Christ Medical Center.
• About 4 a.m. Saturday, a 25-year-old man was critically wounded during a drive-by shooting in the 8300 block of South Peoria Street in the Gresham neighborhood, police said. He was standing outside when people inside a passing gray Jeep opened fire, striking him in the abdomen and leg. He was taken in critical condition to Advocate Christ Medical Center.
• Two people were wounded in a shooting about 3:45 a.m. Saturday in the 200 block of North Homan Avenue in the East Garfield Park neighborhood. Two men, 21 and 23, were standing outside when a man opened fire from a nearby alley. The 21-year-old man was shot multiple times, and he was taken in serious condition to Stroger Hospital. The 23-year-old, who was grazed on the right arm, declined medical attention.
• A 16-year-old boy was shot in the leg about 2:40 a.m. Saturday in the 100 block of South Kildare Avenue in the West Garfield Park neighborhood on the city’s West Side. He was outside with a large group of people when someone opened fire. The boy’s condition was stabilized at Mount Sinai.
• About 2 a.m. Saturday, a 23-year-old woman was shot in the buttocks while she was sitting on a porch in the 2700 block of East 78th Street in the South Shore neighborhood, police said. A man got out of a car and shot at the woman. She was taken in good condition to Northwestern Memorial Hospital.
• A 19-year-old man was wounded in a drive-by shooting about 1:30 a.m. Saturday in the Belmont Central neighborhood on the city’s Northwest Side. He was walking in the 5800 block of West Belden Street when someone inside a passing brown minivan shot at the teen, wounding him in the left leg, police said. He took himself to Community First Medical Center, where his condition was stabilized.
• About 12:50 a.m. Saturday, a 22-year-old man was shot multiple times in the right arm while he was standing in the 1200 block of North Campbell Avenue in the Humboldt Park neighborhood, police said. He was initially taken to Presence Sts. Mary and Elizabeth Medical Center, and his condition was stabilized at Stroger Hospital.
• In West Garfield Park, a 34-year-old man was shot in the leg late Friday while he was in a car in the 100 block of North Kilbourn Avenue, police said. He was a passenger in a car when two men approached and opened fire. The 34-year-old was taken in good condition to Mount Sinai.
• About 5:35 p.m. Friday, a 30-year-old man was shot in the 5400 block of South May Street in the New City neighborhood, police said. He was standing in an alley when the shooter walked up to him and opened fire, hitting him in the arms and stomach. He was taken in serious condition to Stroger, police said. The shooter was seen leaving in a white car.
• About 11:55 a.m. Friday in the 1100 block of West 31st Street in the Bridgeport neighborhood, a 25-year-old man was driving west on 31st near Aberdeen Street when someone who was going east pulled alongside and opened fire, police said. He was hit in the upper thigh and drove himself to Stroger, where his condition was stabilized. Police said the gunman was in a two-door black car.
• On the Far South Side, a man was shot about 6:45 a.m. Friday as he sat in a truck in an alley in the West Pullman neighborhood, according to police. The 32-year-old man had parked in the alley in the 11700 block of South Calumet Avenue when a gray car pulled up and someone inside opened fire, police said. He was struck in the back and taken in critical condition to Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn, police said.
No one was in custody, police said.
Article Org: chicagotribune.com